Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Helicopters in the night

By Libby

I'm late getting started today because I stayed up rather late and then at 6:00 this morning, a damned helicopter circled the apartment complex where I live for a half an hour -- no exaggeration. I timed it. It was hovering right over my building, low and loud enough to wake me up -- which is not easy. I've slept through earthquakes in my lifetime.

I didn't think much of it at first. I assumed it was just passing over and maybe there was low cloud cover or something but when it was still just as loud ten minutes later, I finally got up to check it out. It was circling the McCompound and while I watched it came in and hovered over the building right across from my deck. I didn't try to wave it down because I standing there naked in the dark. I watched until it started moving again, and I heard it circling for another 20 minutes. I have to admit, for a moment, I wondered whether I should get dressed in case they were coming for me. I took a tranq and went to back to bed instead but I tried to figure out what they could have doing when I finally woke up again.

There was a horrible accident nearby on the highway last night but they weren't passing over the highway at all and it was pitch black out. If it was a news chopper, they weren't going to get any decent footage and it left just as the daylight was breaking. It also occurred to me, that maybe there was some kind of manhunt related to the accident, but that happened about 11:00 last night and it turns out it was a tractor trailer that immediately burst into flames, killing the driver. The truck was carrying cardboard. You could still smell it burning at 6:00.

In any event, there were no reports of any manhunts in the local news today. The fire was well covered but the local TV had no aerial shots. So what was that chopper doing over my house, which is in the middle of nowhere by the way? Beats me, but it surely is strange how I keep having these weird sightings.

No comments: